[Lazarus] [OT] New "free" IDE from Trolltech

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Sun Nov 2 23:10:09 CET 2008

Mac Programmer schrieb:

> (2) Continued standardizing on the dominant IDE's for most large
> organizations, that is on Visual Studio, Eclipse or maybe XCode if
> you're doing serious Mac work. This also frees up the compiler and tool
> developers from having to do an IDE for their products.

Using a generic IDE like Eclipse saves almost no time, the time
consuming and great things like good debugger support, source code
browsing require still a lot of work and one is bound to some strange
code base.

> - A version of SWIG that supports Object Pascal syntax, so we could
> create Python (and possibly other) interfaces to our classes,

This is as useless as a a .Net backend. Such a beast might have OP
syntax but everything must be recoded anyways due to different libraries
etc.

> - A .NET strategy. I'm not suggesting a compiler that produces .NET
> assemblies, but rather some way to use our classes with .NET, maybe by
> wrapping them in a .NET assembly.
>
> - Possible integration with the big IDE's.

IMO the only IDE superior to Lazarus is Visual Studio, but this is only
due to the great debugger and things like Edit and Continue and this is
something which cannot achived by some plugin like integration.