[Lazarus] Impossible to debug with Lazarus IDE

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 12:12:08 CET 2008

On Mon, Nov 3, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Marc Weustink <marc.weustink at cuperus.nl> wrote:
>>> Well, it can become tricky. Suppose you try to debug something in the
>>> form creating and initial showing. If you inspect the MyForm.Handle, the
>>> handle gets created. Now, the handle is created at another point in the
>>> initialization sequence than at normal run time.
>>>
>> This is a risk, the debugger user shoud be aware of, but viewing and
>> setting property values must work in the debugger, as it does in Delphi.
>
> If you can give me a nice way to undo the case vincent described, I'll
> happily implement that.

Don't treat developers as idiots!  Normally they know the pitfalls in
doing potentially dangerous tasks. Usage of raw Pointers is another
example.  If they don't know how to use it correctly or the know
pitfalls, they will learn quickly. ;-)

You have many pitfalls with "Edit and Continue" as well, yet it's an
option for developers to use in Visual Studio.

> Note that Delphi doesn't handle this either. So evaluating properties
> can modify the state of the debugee.

Well, if it's good enough for Delphi to include property evaluation
without the safety net of an undo - why can't it be good enough for
FPC's debugger?  For me it's an acceptable risk - like many other
things. And the benefits outweigh the risks.

BTW:
Is there a custom written FPC debugger we can try out and test?

Regards,
  - Graeme -