[Lazarus] SubVersion vs Git

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Nov 5 11:15:56 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On 11/5/08, Alexander Klenin <klenin at gmail.com> wrote:
>> They are usually of about equal size, for example, svn checkout of
>>  Pidgin (IM tool) is 122 MB while complete history in Git repository is 148 MB.
>
> I don't think that is incorrect. The svn checkout will only contain
> the last revision (no history). That means 122MB for the HEAD
> revision. Compare that to the Git repository of148MB for the full
> history!  A huge difference in amount of information and size. Git is
> a LOT smaller.

122 MB is still less than 148 MB. But anyways, the git/dvcs hypers
always forget about the drawbacks: e.g. git or mercurial don't allow
partial checkouts: every checkout contains the full source tree. I do
often partial checkouts, e.g. I've several checkouts only of the
compiler dir.

>>  But the OP's point was that local operations are MUCH faster,
>>  so much that it changes the work flow. For example, to show a few last
>>  log messages
>>  from the lazarus repository takes me 10-20 sec., and showing a diff between
>>  to revisions of a file -- another 30-60 sec., while in Git these
>>  operations are instantaneous.
>
> This drives me absolutely nuts!! I often track bugs by comparing
> revisions. And doing that for remote repositories like FPC or Lazarus
> is a total pain in the butt! It takes forever! We don't all live in
> the USA with 20+Mb internet connections to our office or home.

Use the mercurial mirror to do so. However, as I said, since it seems
that nobody uses it, I consider it not as a real issue or even pain.

>>  Another compelling feature of Git is the possibility to create and manage
>>  local branches. For example, when I want to add a feature to Lazarus,
>
> This is one of the major features in Git that is convincing me to try
> Git for our company repositories.  In SubVersion, branching is like an
> afterthought. Manually having to track merges to a branch (though
> apparently there was been some work towards this), etc...

This is not true. svnmerge works very well for years for FPC.