[Lazarus] SubVersion vs Git

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Nov 5 13:18:55 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On 11/5/08, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> Git is a hype. Git might be nice for projects with >100 developers and
>>  which has (like linux) dedicated branch maintainers. Git allows to
>>  support complicated project structures with several layers of
>>  maintainers and project managers. But this is something smaller projects
>>  like FPC or Lazarus don't need.
>
> That's like saying.... I'm a single developer, I don't need a Source
> Code Version tool.

No. The point is that a dvcs has drawbacks. The distributed nature
requires a very strict management of repository structure and for the
changeset flow. Which repository is used the create the releases? Who
merges to this repository and when? What if somebody never pushes his
changes and keeps them local till his harddisk breaks? How does testing
work? When are tests run? At every commit? Every push? Not to mention
the more complex use of a dvcs. Here at work I'am happy if people use
svn up/svn co correctly and not do svn rm/svn add to commit a changed file.

With subversion is this self regulated and the structure subversion
offers is enough for smaller projects like fpc/lazarus.