[Lazarus] SubVersion vs Git

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Nov 5 14:07:46 CET 2008

On 11/5/08, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>  the more complex use of a dvcs. Here at work I'am happy if people use
>  svn up/svn co correctly and not do svn rm/svn add to commit a changed file.
>
>  With subversion is this self regulated and the structure subversion
>  offers is enough for smaller projects like fpc/lazarus.

My (personal) two main benefit for Git is:
 * I can easily and quickly do revision comparisons locally without
communicating with the remote server
 * I can do local commits and keep a history of those commits. Then
once my long taking feature is complete, I can generate a patch for
"primary" repository.

Good news is, that Git's core tools include CVS and SVN support. So
you can wrap CVS or SVN repositories with Git. So I can use Git
locally while the repository is SubVersion. I will be trying this with
Lazarus.

The other pretty cool feature is that Git includes a CVS Server (I
think SubVersion too). So for those die-hard users that don't want to
learn a new toolset, can still access a Git repository as if it was a
CVS repository. You can even continue using your GUI CVS frontend
tools. Like I said, I'm not 100% sure, but I think it can do the same
for SubVersion.

Regards,
  - Graeme -