[Lazarus] Lazarus repository in Git (summary)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 08:45:08 CET 2008

On Wed, Nov 05, 2008 at 02:20:10PM +0100, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> > On 11/5/08, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
> >>  the more complex use of a dvcs. Here at work I'am happy if people use
> >>  svn up/svn co correctly and not do svn rm/svn add to commit a changed file.
> >>
> >>  With subversion is this self regulated and the structure subversion
> >>  offers is enough for smaller projects like fpc/lazarus.
> >

> > My (personal) two main benefit for Git is:
> >  * I can easily and quickly do revision comparisons locally without
> > communicating with the remote server
>
> This is indeed a point and that's why I installed the mercurial mirror
> already some time ago.
>
> >  * I can do local commits and keep a history of those commits. Then
> > once my long taking feature is complete, I can generate a patch for
> > "primary" repository.
> >

> The better way is imo to create a branch at the main repository where
> you can work, so as I said in my other mail, it is backed up, everybody
> can review it early and easily, you don't need to take the hazzle to get
> your own tree online.

Since it seems (to me) more a DVCS vs CVCS instead of a GIT vs SVN thread,
please consider Bazaar.

http://bazaar-vcs.org/BzrVsGit

from the cons of GIT I see primarly:

- Windows support: Bazaar, includes a native Windows port and installer.
  The   port feels like a regular Windows program. See for example:
  http://bazaar-vcs.org/TortoiseBzr
- It Just Works (see the article...)
- Easier administration (see the article...)
- It Just Works (see the article...)
- Launchpad integration (self explanatory...)

The article mentions this too that started it all:
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2007-06/0780.shtml

PS: there is a bzr-svn tool in my Ubuntu that enable me to use the svn
repository as a bzr repo but I still need write permission... :-(

--

Marco Ciampa