[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Marc Weustink marc.weustink at cuperus.nl
Thu Nov 6 15:14:44 CET 2008

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
> The common element is that in all cases I'm running X over the LAN, but
> while Lazarus is fairly snappy with gtk 1 if I recompile it for gtk 2,
> either from the command line or using its internal rebuild facility,
> performance plummets: I have to wait for about a minute before a
> component dropped onto a form appears.

and in another mail:

> My desktop screens are on a SPARC with everything else connected by X on
> VNC and I'm quite simply not changing that.

Are you running remote by using a VNC server on your sparc end that
using a vncviewer to access it remotely, or are you running X remote
(sparc connecting to a remote X server)

The latter I can confirm as dog slow. Over a 1 Gb lan it takes minutes
before the cursor moves one char in the editor. (Responses to
mouseclicks on dialogs take the same time btw)
This resulted for me to continue laz development using a gtk1 IDE.

When using a VNCserver, it should work more smooth, since all is handled
"locally" and only display changes are copied ove the LAN.

Marc