[Lazarus] Performance of GTK 2 and CE

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Tue Nov 11 12:46:30 CET 2008

Luca Olivetti wrote:

> I have an application made with 0.9.26/gtk2 that is routinely[*] run in
> remote through an ssh tunnel (the X server is either linux or windows
> xming).

That does of course raise the interesting point that part of the remote
performance issue could be an X server issue. Fortunately I've got XMing
on another laptop, so selecting one of the more "complete" sets of tests:

 > x86 800MHz laptop Debian "Lenny" 0.9.24/2.2.0
 > 	local
 > 		gtk	  3.5
 > 		gtk2	 12.4
 > 	remote
 > 		gtk	  9.5
 > 		gtk2	 60.3

	remote (XMing)
		gtk	  5.1
		gtk2	199.9

 > x86 800MHz laptop Debian "Lenny" 0.9.26/2.2.2
 > 	local
 > 		gtk	  3.7
 > 		gtk2	 13.7
 > 	remote
 > 		gtk	 10.0
 > 		gtk2	 60.4

	remote (XMing)
		gtk	  5.0
		gtk2	199.9

In the case of the gtk2 test I also time a 6 second "Big Freeze" between
the form appearing and being usable.

I admit to being very surprised here by gtk1 being faster but gtk2 being
so much slower. However this isn't a particularly recent copy of XMing-
the machine is used for mundane but important jobs like setting up the
PABX and it doesn't get fiddled with.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk