[Lazarus] Running Lazarus GTK1 (32bit) via a remote X11 from 64bit Linux

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.lazarus at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 11:02:38 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Seeing that GTK2 via remote X11 connection is totally unworkable
> (every screen has about 15-20 seconds delay). I thought I would use
> GTK1 instead.
>
> I want to use the remote Linux server (64bit system) for 64bit
> application testing. I don't want to develop remotely using GTK1 - I
> simply want to run the IDE via GTK1.  I 'apt-get install' ed the
> libgtk1.2 libraries and all it's dependencies.  I then compiled
> Lazarus IDE with GTK1 on my local 32bit system.  Copied the executable
> over to the remote 64bit server. But I am unable to run Lazarus on the
> remote server.
>
> I get the following error:
> -------------------------------
> graemeg at argon:~/programming$ ./lazarus.gtk1
> ./lazarus.gtk1: error while loading shared libraries:
> libglib-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
> directory

Approaching the problem rather naively, I wonder where that message
comes from? A quick grep over both the Lazarus and FPC sources doesn't
bring it up (apart from in a Cygwin DLL which obviously isn't being
used). In /usr/lib I get a match from libc.a, I wonder if useful detail
is getting logged somewhere?

It might turn out to be a lower-level problem- I can't compare behaviour
here since all my systems are 32-bit userland.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk