[Lazarus] A new competitor to Lazarus and Free Pascal

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Nov 25 16:12:17 CET 2008

Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
>> I never thought I would say this about the Basic language.... :-)
>> But Real Software has made a pretty impressive product called
>> REALBasic. When I read about this back in 2005, I didn't think they
>> would be around for long. But to my surprise, they have been hammering
>> away and improving REALBasic year-on-year. REALBasic overcomes many of
>> the limitations we know about VB6 and has some impressive features -
>> in the language and IDE. Including cross compiling for Linux, Windows
>> and Mac, plus it's very easy to install. It also comes with a build-in
>> profiler... See screen shot link.  Damn, it would be nice having such
>> a profiler for Free Pascal / Lazarus development tools. ;-)
>
> Just use valgrind/kcachegrind:
> <http://kcachegrind.sourceforge.net/html/pics/KcgShot3Large.gif>

Seconded! I discovered valgrind/kcachegrind only 3 weeks ago and it's fabulous!
If you are interested at all in profiling your application then valgrind --tool=callgrind with the
output file passed to kcachegrind has to be seen to be believed.

I've never used a profiler before so maybe my expectations are low, but man I was impressed.

I'm writing a compiler for an obscure uC interpreter and (being grossly inexperienced at writing
compilers) a couple of runs of valgrind/kcachegrind allowed me to speed things up over 500% with
less than 10 lines of code modified in my source (can you say "low hanging fruit"?).

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them