[Lazarus] How to unset bookmarks in the editor?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 25 22:23:33 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

>> I see no special advantage in removing bookmarks. In detail not when
>> Delphi doesn't remember bookmarks across sessions :-(
>
> I see no special advantage in remembering bookmarks across sessions.
> :-)  Since my Delphi 4 days, I have always used bookmarks as a quick
> way to jump to section of code - that are relevant to what I am
> currently working on.  Tomorrow or a week from now that code will not
> be relevant anymore, because I will be working on a different section
> of the project.

An IDE should not guess about what is how long important to the user.
When I quit today, and want to resume my work tomorrow, I appreciate to
have my current bookmarks as I left them. I also would like persistent
folding.

> Also, I can see a potential problem with Lazarus's persistent
> bookmarks. What if I set bookmark 1 in Unit2.pas.   Then remove
> (delete) Unit2.pas from the project.  What happens now if I press
> Ctrl+Shift+1 while I am in Unit1.pas?

Depends on the context. Breakpoints, bookmarks and folding can be seen
as project specific, but they also can be seen as file specific. Every
IDE will have to specify the implemented handling, depending on
reasonable thoughts. The best solution would make everything
configurable by the user, with according save/recall features ;-)

DoDi