[Lazarus] How do I use Unicode characters on MacOS / Carbon?

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Oct 5 18:33:20 CEST 2008

Doug Chamberlin wrote:
> Brad Campbell wrote:
>> Having converted all my code to use the UTF conversion routines in LCLproc, I now get flawless
>> Unicode on Linux and MacOS.. Whoo! On to Win32 now :)
>>
>> Again, a big thanks guys, that was a headache.
>
> Would you consider writing up short summary of what is needed to
> accomplish this when you finish with Win32 fixes?
>
> I, for one, have yet to start tackling character conversions and I'm
> looking for a succinct guide. Real life experience is worth a bunch!

Sure.. I've also got some oddities with regards to cross compiling for
Darwin Intel/PPC and Win32 from Linux i386 that I'd like to add to the Wiki at some point.

It'll be a couple of weeks before I'm into the Win32 port for real. I have some Mac ugliness to
clean up first. (Ugliness as in a Gtk app ported to Mac behaves like a Unix app and not a Mac App.
Does not worry me, but Mac users are sticklers for human interface guidelines! ;) )

I still can't get lazbuild to build carbon binaries from linux/x86, but with a bit of a verbose
makefile and calling fpc directly I can now compile my project for Linux/x86, MacOS ppc/intel and
Win32 in one stroke.

Have to say I'm pretty happy about the way fpc and lazarus cope with cross compilation. It's a real
testament to the developers!

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them