[Lazarus] Ubuntu dependences 0.9.26

Aleš Katona almindor at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 22:37:24 CEST 2008

Dňa Pi, 2008-10-17 o 16:57 +0200, svaa napísal:
> Graeme Geldenhuys escribió:
> > I'm running Ubuntu 7.10 and have no issues running the latests Lazarus
> > - though I always use the one from the subversion repository, not a
> > .deb release.
> >
> > I have the following apt packages installed,
> >
> > libgtk1.2, libgtk1.2-common, libgtk1.2-dev, libglib1.2, libglib1.2-dev
> >
> > I used Synaptic and searched for libglib1.2ldbl but don't have such a
> > package in any of the repositories. So I have no clue what that
> > package does or why it's needed.
> >

> > Regards,
> >   - Graeme -
> >

> I have researched a little and I have understood this:
>
> Take it every thing with a grain of salt, I am not an expert in  linux,
> and I don't know if I have misunderstood the versions of packages.
>
> libglib.1.2.9 was just one package for GTK widget, but  after release
> 1.2.9,  libglib got split in two packages: libgtk for visual widgets,
> and libglib for auxiliary-non-visual functions  like  hash , lists etc.
> It seems that  ubuntu for 7.10 hasn't  libglib.1.2.9 and ubuntu 8.04 has
> renamed libglib.1.2.9 to "libglib1.2ldbl". I don't know what standard
> debian distro has done.
>
> So a lazarus may use
>    libglib.1.2.9 (renamed as "libglib1.2ldbl" for ubuntu 8.04, but not
> available in 7.10)
> xor
>    libgtk.>=1.2.10 and libglib >=1.2.10
>
> Does lazarus really need the old lib (I think from 2001)? if it doesn't,
> the old package libglib1.2ldbl could be removed from dependences.
>
> If lazarus needs old packages as well (to link with gtk1?) then the
> package should  to implement the "xor" function. (can deb packages do
> such thing?) or have two lazarus deb version.
>
> Ones again, I'm not very sure about versions or what lazarus could need
> the old libs for.
>
> Reagards
> Santiago A.

Note that it's possible to specify "or" dependencies for debs. So if you
have a situation that on newer debian distroes libs are name differently
or consist of different sublibs, you can always do "libold | (libnew1,
libnew2).

Just a sidenote, I didn't reasearch this particular problem.

Ales