[Lazarus] Paintbox complete redraw

Howard Page-Clark hdpc at talktalk.net
Wed Sep 24 10:16:14 CEST 2008

Boguslaw Brandys wrote:

> What is the cause of flicker ? I see it is common problem in Lazarus for
> all controls under Windows ?
> did you found the reason ?

I don't know, but presume flickering controls get painted successively rather than just once. I know various Lazarus graphics
routines have recently had a major rewrite, and the evolution and testing is continuing. The results on Windows seem less
satisfactory than on unix at the moment. This is the joy of using a tool that is continually being improved, and (I imagine - I'm
not clever enough to be one myself) the headache of being a developer where the improvements you introduce in one part of a complex
codebase give rise to unwanted or unforeseen side effects elsewhere. Software is imperfect, but Lazarus is much less imperfect than
a year or two ago. I can only congratulate its developers on their skill and teamwork, and ability to overcome their disagreements
and blend all their insights into a first rate, free tool.

Howard