[Lazarus] Permission denied error with Firebird SS on OSX

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 12:45:19 CEST 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Giuseppe Luigi Punzi
<glpunzi at lordzealon.com> wrote:

> Now, I can't open any database from Lazarus/SQLdb nor Flamerobin,
> getting an error about 'Permission Denied'.

========= Quoted from excellent The Firebird Book ===========
Linux/UNIX Users and Groups
-------------------------------------
>From Firebird 1.5, the root user is no longer the default user that
runs the server software. This means you need to put non-root users
into the firebird group to enable
them to access databases.

To add a user (for example, “sparky”) to the firebird group, the root
user needs to
enter:
   $ usermod -G firebird sparky

The next time sparky logs on, he or she can start working with
Firebird databases.

To list the groups that a user belongs to, type the following at the
command line:
   $ groups

TIP
----
The firebird user will also need read-write privileges to all
databases and read-write-execute privileges to all directories where
databases are located.

I'm installing a new Linux server now which will run a Firebird
server.... So I'll go through the motions as well and document what is
required.

Regards,
  - Graeme -