[Lazarus] Large program size - 1.8 MB for empty GUI project

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 14:39:58 CEST 2009

2009/4/3 Игорь Ткаченко <tkachenko.igor at gmail.com>:
> I'm developing system utilities (http://safelyremove.com/,
> http://lockhunter.com/) and I know from feedback that users of such
> system tools expect to see small executables rather than big
> executables.  If a system tool like ours have size larger than 2 MBs (it
> can be easiliy achieved by adding a few forms) we will start to receive
> letters with questions: "Why your program have so big executable? Have
> you added some malware there?".

You can answer them that the executables are big because you are using
a cross-platform GUI library, and they can check the code of the
library.

Maybe they would be happier if we could make the LCL into DLLs. There
was some investigation about it, but still far from reality.

Anyway, there is a big deal of psychology here, because I think they
would be happier if the executable was 100kb but depended on 24MB of
DLLs (like the Qt4 installer for Mac OS X), which is obviously
contradictory if you know about the technology.

And now it comes to another point. If you compare the LCL to other
cross-platform GUI libraries, like Qt, it's actually much smaller, but
with the down side that we still can't make the LCL into DLLs, which
can be reused in multiple applications.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho