[Lazarus] Large program size - 1.8 MB for empty GUI project

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 15:02:50 CEST 2009

2009/4/3 Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com>:
> would be happier if the executable was 100kb but depended on 24MB of
> DLLs (like the Qt4 installer for Mac OS X), which is obviously
> contradictory if you know about the technology.

I must agree here. I would much rather prefer a stand-alone
application that has no extra requirements like DLL's or SO's. This is
what I hated about Kylix 3 application - it was not easy to deploy
because the CLX and Qt requirements. To this day I can't simply click
on a Kylix application and expect it to run. I need a few of those 6MB
SO's files to go with it. This is what I love about fpGUI Toolkit.
Much less requirements and I even ran applications I compiled today on
Ubuntu 9.04 (beta) on a old RedHat 8 distro in a VM session.

Anyway, to me ease of deployment is much more important that
executable size - simply because I only develop for the desktop. :)

Regards,
  - Graeme -