[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 12:02:28 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 11:44 AM, Vincent Snijders
<vincent.snijders at gmail.com> wrote:

> What do you suggest instead? Remove the tag and tag again? Or is
> deleting a directory under tags not allowed in GIT either?

Tags should be created after a release has been announced.  Before
that, a Branch should be used.

I have no idea if SubVersion supports deleting or moving tags. I know
under Git I can delete or move tags without problems.

What worries me now with the current tags in Lazarus, is that they
don't have a clean history (specific snapshot in time). You wouldn't
expect to do a 'svn up' after you checked out a tag - so some users
might be missing those extra commits / merges.  You also can't re-tag
by simply using the last merged revision, because the history is not
sequential any more.  I'm not sure what would happen if you created a
new branch (using original revision of tag) and recreated what some of
those tags do, then re-tag the branch and then delete the branch...
Can you do that?  The joys of tags and branches under SubVersion!  :-(

In future I would recommend using branches and when a release is
announced, then only create a tag.

Regards,
  - Graeme -