[Lazarus] Modified .po files after each build

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 15:18:03 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 12:33 PM, Vincent Snijders <vincent.snijders at gmail.com>

> Another school says that you need to build releases from a tagged version.

Those learners should go back to school!  :-)

>> I have no idea if SubVersion supports deleting or moving tags.
>
> Updating a directory under tags, isn't that moving tags?
> Deleting the directory under tags, isn't that deleting tags?
>
> The difference between tags and branches does only exist in the naming
> convention, nothing more.

Now I'm starting to appreciate Linus's talk about Git at Google Talk.
SubVersion really has a brain-dead design.  ;-)

>> In future I would recommend using branches and when a release is
>> announced, then only create a tag.
>
> Cumbersome.

Funny how the SubVersion documentation says that is exactly how you
are supposed to use tags. If you start committing to a "tag", it is
NOT a snapshot in time any more and is now considered a branch. I have
been working on many SubVersion repositories from various projects.
Everybody "gets" that concept, but the Lazarus developers don't.

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.5/svn.branchmerge.tags.html

<quote>
Another common version control concept is a tag. A tag is just a
“snapshot” of a project in time.

[...snip....]

But wait a moment: isn't this tag creation procedure the same
procedure we used to create a branch? Yes, in fact, it is. In
Subversion, there's no difference between a tag and a branch. Both are
just ordinary directories that are created by copying. Just as with
branches, the only reason a copied directory is a “tag” is because
humans have decided to treat it that way: as long as nobody ever
commits to the directory, it forever remains a snapshot. If people
start committing to it, it becomes a branch.
</quote>

NOTE the last line!

Regards,
  - Graeme -