[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 16:06:26 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> And what if someone realizes that one patch is missing?

Well, is that not what "release canditate" or stable branches are for?
Users at least expect updates and backports of patches in a branch.
Then test, test and test! Once everything is working, create a release
tag based on that branch.

> Skip a release
> number? We will never to this again, we did this in FPC 1.0.x times and
> it caused a lot of confusion. Better a tag is moved ...

Isn't that what point releases are for??

* Release 0.9.26.
* Oh crap, we didn't test enough and 0.9.26 is broken.
* merge, fix and retest using the branch release 0.9.26 was based on.
* Release 0.9.26.1

....in the mean time new development continues on unstable trunk (0.9.27)...

If a release is broken one day after it has been released, then
clearly not enough testing was done on that stable branch. In that
case, release candidate branches should have a longer lifespan.

Just because a tag can have updates, doesn't mean it must. It goes
against what most people know or expect and is even documented as such
in the SubVersion docs. It simply adds more confusion. Once a release
is out, it should be final. Point releases should follow from that to
fix minor or overlooked issues.

Regards,
  - Graeme -