[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue Apr 14 18:30:03 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 3:31 PM, Florian Klaempfl
> <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> And what if someone realizes that one patch is missing?
>
> Well, is that not what "release canditate" or stable branches are for?
> Users at least expect updates and backports of patches in a branch.
> Then test, test and test! Once everything is working, create a release
> tag based on that branch.

If you think it's so easy, be our guest to coordinate an fpc release :)

2.2.4 was heavily tested but then we recognized a security hole after
everything was packed. Just as a hint: till all different versions of
fpc for one rc are packed, it takes easily 2-4 weeks and lot of poking
by the release coordinator :)

>> Skip a release
>> number? We will never to this again, we did this in FPC 1.0.x times and
>> it caused a lot of confusion. Better a tag is moved ...
>
> Isn't that what point releases are for??
>
> * Release 0.9.26.
> * Oh crap, we didn't test enough and 0.9.26 is broken.
> * merge, fix and retest using the branch release 0.9.26 was based on.
> * Release 0.9.26.1

This is not really possible, the defines etc. in fpc are limited
currently to x.y.z

> ....in the mean time new development continues on unstable trunk (0.9.27)...
>
> If a release is broken one day after it has been released, then
> clearly not enough testing was done on that stable branch. In that
> case, release candidate branches should have a longer lifespan.

So above.