[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Apr 15 15:37:15 CEST 2009

Alexander Klenin schrieb:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 00:02, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:
>> Very difficult. If a release is created from a branch, nobody can ensure
>> that all release builders built the release candidate from exactly the
>> same revision, if they don't, things might be broken when the final
>> release should be built.
>
> Why not tag it x.y.z-pre1 then, and if all went well, additionally tag
> the same revision
> as x.y.z, otherwise create x.y.z-pre2 etc.?

What if you realize after x.y.z has been tagged, built and uploaded that
it has a security hole as it happend with fpc?

>> At cvs times we did this for fpc and we had to lock the branch to
>> prevent commits (btw: can git lock branches ;)?)
>
> Git (and Subversion too) can, in principle, "lock" branches using
> pre-commit hook.

Subversion has a native lock command ;) One can override it, but this is
behaving really bad and I don't expect anybody to do so.

> However, note that in git the whole problem does not exist, since in
> the normal workflow
> nobody except release manager can commit to "release" branch anyway.

So the release manager needs to run his own git repository instead of
having the release tag in the central, fast and reliable repository? The
sad thing about this workflow is anyways, that no release manager can
test all patches because he lacks the appropriate machines so he needs
to merge patches blindly.

> Also, it you _do_ move a tag in git, everybody updating from your
> repository will
> get a big fat warning ;-)

This is fine, but sometimes moving a tag is needed. Period.