[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at vodafonevast.nl
Thu Apr 16 08:02:50 CEST 2009

Doug Chamberlin schreef:
> What if, in response to a last-minute show stopper bug, the scheduled
> release was immediately superseded by another one with a higher release
> number? What would be the harm?

It would make a lot of confusion.

> Do you really think that anyone likely to use these programs (FPC and
> Lazarus) would not be sympathetic and understanding about what happened
> and readily accommodate themselves to the fact that release x.y.z had a
> 1-day lifespan and that usable releases went from x.y.z to x.y.z+2?

The x.y.z release would never released, it would have a minus 3 days
life span. Note that this thread is talking about the situation, where
the source in SVN has been tagged for the release builders, but no
release has been made public. The x.y.z release would go from x.y.z to
x.y.z+4 (no odd releases, see
http://wiki.lazarus.freepascal.org/Version_Numbering) and you would have
to explain the missing x.y.z+2, except that is visible in the svn
history (I would delete the tag for the broken release from svn too).

> Especially if the explanation was readily available?

Maybe.

> It's not like we are running out of release numbers or anything...
>
> Also, I don't buy the argument that doing this would delay the new
> release another 4 months. After all, it would be the exact same code
> being released under the "move the tag" scenario so no additional delay
> would be needed.

Agreed.

Vincent