[Lazarus] revision numbers of each SVN tag?

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Thu Apr 16 10:46:45 CEST 2009

Op donderdag 16-04-2009 om 08:49 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Graeme
Geldenhuys:
> On Wed, Apr 15, 2009 at 10:14 PM, Hans-Peter Diettrich
> <DrDiettrich1 at aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > Distinguish between distribution lines. My suggestion is for the
> > repository itself. A tarball can contain the patched version, and can
> > have other naming conventions. RPM packages frequently come with
> > patches. etc.
>
> I am actually done chatting on this thread, but to reiterate your
> point. When last did you see a Windows OS being released and not have
> patches available in the first week of release. Even in open-source
> projects like Ubuntu. They day it gets released, there are updates to
> be downloaded. And with the Ubuntu LTS (Longe Term Support) versions
> they release point releases a few moths later - fixing even more bugs.

Well, you don't have any experience in building linux-distribution
releases also, that is clear.

For distributions the same thing holds as for us: if a show-stopper
occurs, the release is delayed. Last example is the release of Fedora 11
beta. It was delayed 2 weeks because of some show-stoppers. (2 weeks is
very long, and believe me: nobody was happy with it)

But the point is that distributions only find issues 'show-stoppers'
when the files concerned are on the cd's. And if they contain bugs in
the installer, or security issues while installing Fedora. Thus:
problems which may arrise before the patch-and-update mechanism is in
place. (This was also the problem in the latest fpc release: it was only
harmfull the first time you would run the installation-utility)

Distributions handle things like these exactly as how we do. Unimportant
things can be done in patches.

> Why can't FPC release patches ( or new .pp, .inc and .ppu files) for
> those unexpected show stoppers. It would save the release builders
> hours of time. Note, this is only mean for those critical unforeseen /
> show stopper issues.

Well, that's one of the reasons we made fppkg. But that's not something
you do in a few weeks...

Joost.