[Lazarus] Installing Lazarus in OS X from SVN

Ron Grove ron.grove at me.com
Thu Apr 23 05:34:07 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 7:12 PM, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho <
felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2009/4/21 ik <idokan at gmail.com>:
> > I was talking about this: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=12591
> > With many implications on IRC of it.
>
> Very simple to solve this: Just add the gtk 2.8 code around IFDEFs. I
> think this is already done for other features

They added support for 2.8 because of this, but it took me a lot of effort
to be listen to.

> Absolutely unecessary to have hurt fealings and personal disputes
> about something so simple.

The first time I added support for Bidi in Lazarus, it taken me a long time
to understand how things works. And except for Windows that Zaher already
added, I added for almost every other supported widget the bidi support.
When I had time to continue working on this, I discovered that old things I
made did not work, so I started research about the issues.
The thing is that I found out about it after almost 4 weekends that I worked
on this, and the reaction was something like the joking of Vincent: "it's
your problem".

I do a lot of work regarding spreading Lazarus to people, and writing posts
in my native language at my blog about pascal and lazarus, and then I find
myself not only in need to "fight" people in the community that I try to
show Lazarus to, but also from inside Lazarus project, and that was too much
for me.

The first time I tried to contribute to Lazarus, was when it only had GTK
1.2 support (no win32 support at all). When I started the attempt to prompt
GTK 2x to Lazarus core developers, I was given an answer that made me leave
the project completely and it took me few years to return to test it out
(then it was already started a job in working with more then one widget).

I do not like wasting my time, I really love object pascal, and I do think
that FPC is a great compiler, and Lazarus have a feature, but there is still
a long road to go until it could replace Delphi, but when no one is willing
to hear you out, and most of the time ignore your contributions have it's
toll. It makes me (at least) to invest a lot less in this projects.

> --
> Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho

Ido