[Lazarus] Production

Osvaldo Filho arquivostcf at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 20:05:45 CEST 2009

This is a follow up to http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=8663
> 1) When the code contains a critical error, pressing Ctrl+Space the
> cursor moves to this point. I think it would be better just to mark
> the error (e.g line highlighting), because the error is due to the
> incompleteness of the code.
So what should happen?

If the code indeed has an error, then it must be fixed. And
code-completion will not work until it has been fixed.

- If it was simply highlighted, then the user will (at some time) have
to go there by hand. So that (imho) is less convenient.
  And the position may not be in the visible area, so the user would not
notice.
  Or the user may have continues to type, that usually makes line
highlight disappear.
- On the other hand, the current behaviour triggers an unexpected jump,
and (for me) it always takes a second or two, to figure out what just
happened.

So what other options are there? Ideas:
- code tools display a drop-down, but it simply has an entry, pointing
to the error. The entry can be selected (cursor-down-key; then enter)
and you jump to the error location. Continue typing, or pressing escape
would keep you at your current location.
- instead of a drop-down a hint could be shown
- we could keep jumping to the error immediately (as current); but make
some extra visible hint, what and why happened (display a hint /
highlight the word in red / if still within the visible area, highlight
the original position too)

Best Regards
Martin