[Lazarus] TDateEdit.Date is not published...why?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Fri Apr 24 19:42:22 CEST 2009

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:

>> You would need to know at least what is the exchange rate for a given
>> conversion.
>
> And the currency type and the rounding method use (maybe even per
> currency) and the preferred decimal numbers used (again maybe per
> currency) etc...

Monetary calculations often are prescribed precisely, e.g. for taxes.
These prescriptions as well as the preferred scaling are country
specific. We just had a discussion about currencies where the base unit
equals e.g. 1E-6 USD, where 64 bit and 4 decimal places are no more
applicable, even for calculations in one currency.

> Something that seemed so simple in the beginning can become quite a
> complex task. ;-)
>
> Now similar issue can be applied to TDateTime and String types.

Unlike other measure types (including date, temparature, length...),
currencies have variable conversion rules or factors. In former days
(some) currencies were based on gold or silver (Pound Sterling,
Silverdollar, Goldmark...), usable as a common base for exchange
calculations, but nowadays IMO all currencies are floating. Any fixed
conversion methods will result in kind of weather forecast ;-)

DoDi