[Lazarus] Debugging and Structured Data Arrays

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Mon Aug 3 00:56:25 CEST 2009

Andrew Brunner wrote:
> Thanks Silvio,
>
> I'm not having a problem a problem with code running.  I'm not able to
> Inspect the contents of VStringArray while debugging via GDB in
> Ubuntu.
>
> Can you inspect the variable VStringArray?  How about VStringArray[0]?
>  I can not.
>
> This is a fresh build of FPC and Lazarus from TRUNK and a BRAND new
> install of Ubuntu 9.04.

There a various problems, like this. It is an issue between fpc and gdb.
A lot may depend on the version of  fpc and the version of gdb you use.

A few thinks you can try, but I don't know if they will work for you.

Try Dwarf versu stabs (Compiler option in Lazarus), Tab: Linking

While debugging the following has worked for me under window (not sure
if I used dwarf, I think not). And it only worked if there was an
explicit type:
  type TStringArray = Array of String; var a: TStringArray
but not for
  var a: Array of String;

instead of
 a[0]