[Lazarus] Multi-threading support in IDE

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Aug 13 16:49:00 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:01:38PM +0200, Florian Klaempfl wrote:
> Michael Van Canneyt schrieb:
> >> So wouldn't it be more efficient to create a new thread for the
> >> compiler instead of a new process?
> >
> > Efficient, yes;
>
> As I pointed out on fpc-core a few days ago, I'd like to create an fpc
> which stays in memory and takes commands via pipes/sockets/ipc whatever
> to reduce process startup times.

Specially it would employ an unit cache.

Still I'm not entirely convinced if a built-in compiler wouldn't be better.
For the problems that you get, you also loose some, since the compiler is
essentially fully synchronous to the calling Lazarus thread.

The multiple compiler argument (for crosscompilation) could be resolved by
using packages based plugin architecture in time.

It would cause a tighter coupling between FPC and Lazarus, and require
changes in project structure and releasing, for sure. But maybe it would be
more desirable long term.

99% of the users strictly use "as installed" anyway, and the 1% is capable
of compiling their own.