[Lazarus] Multi-threading support in IDE

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Fri Aug 14 08:55:07 CEST 2009

Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

> That's true. The general problem is not that the IDE is not
> responsive when compiling/linking but that compiling/linking takes so
> long.

FPC is a fast compiler and more speed is obviously also nice. The
compiling is not the issue to me, it's the unresponsive IDE that gets
me. I would like it to be similir to other users experiences. For
example, you can print a large document and continue browsing your text
or changing some setting in the menus etc... It doesn't block you from
continuing. The Lazarus IDE does.

I compile very often - probably once every minute or two. I also
practise Test-Drive Development, which makes sure you compile often. I
would like to start a full build (which could take a while for large
projects) and continue writing fpdoc documentation or start a new unit
test (obviously without saving before the compile is complete) etc...

It's called "multi-tasking". Ever heard of it? ;-)

Regards,
   - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/