[Lazarus] Multi-threading support in IDE

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Aug 14 11:39:29 CEST 2009

Mattias Gärtner wrote:

>>> The compiler is started on every compile which is the cleanest start
>>> you can get. A threaded compiler must have a restart, which is less
>>> clean. There will be more crashes and bugs.
>>> What happens if the restart fails?
>>
>> For the debugger, we have reset debugger.
>> For the compiler, we would add a reset compiler option.
>
> I meant, when the compiler is in another thread and the restart fails,
> what should happen? You can only restart the IDE.

Just out of curiosity, what are we trying to solve?

How much benefit would a build in or preloaded fpc inside Lazarus be?
Most Operating System cache disk access. So once you used, it is in
memory, never mind if that memory belongs to lazarus, or the OS.

Of course another thread would solve issues with unresponsiveness. But
that could be done by having another thread, that runs the external
process. Or if the AsyncProcess worked, it could be done, by using this
+ moving to an event-driven model.

Or am I missing some crucial point?

Martin