[Lazarus] Multi-threading support in IDE

Martin lazarus at mfriebe.de
Fri Aug 14 13:36:57 CEST 2009

Vincent Snijders wrote:
> Martin schreef:
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, what are we trying to solve?
>>
> <snip>
>>
>> Or am I missing some crucial point?
>
> 3 idle cores on a quad core CPU. Why pay for a quad core, if Lazarus +
> FPC use only one? I am still waiting during a compile and those 3
> other cores are idling. Let them to part of the work to get the job
> done faster. ;-)
True, but from the point of using FPC and the point of faster
compilation => this needs a multithreaded fpc.

Running a single threaded fpc in it's own thread (never mind if compiled
into lazarus, or loaded as process from a thread) will not do much
(except for one core could do the updates of the message window....
A multi-threade fpc can still be used in a forked process.

As for thinks happening inside lazarus (codetools, search in files,....)
different story

Martin