[Lazarus] Lazarus and Windows 7

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Sat Aug 15 12:24:08 CEST 2009

Martin wrote:

> I have some boxes that run a VGA resolution (either 800*600 or even
> 640*400) and the dialogs just fit, some even are to big, and it's
> painfull to impossible to get to the ok button (know where it is, and
> count tabs untill you believe it has focus).

If you are using Gnome you can press the left Alt key and then click anywhere on a window. You can now drag that window around (no need to click on the title bar).

> So make the window/dialog bigger and thinks will be even harder.

All programs usually define a minimum screen resolution. I can remember when last I saw an IDE that said min. resolution is 640x480. All developer tools (IDE's) usually require larger screen resolutions than standard desktop applications. This is known, but maybe Lazarus should make it clear that minimum resolution is 1024x768. I can't remember when last I saw anybody run there desktop even at 800x600.

Alternatively, the dialogs need to be redesigned to fit 640x480 or a more sane 800x600. But I still feel, layout manager are a must with todays applications that get translated to many languages. Hopefully my port of MiG Layout Manager will be sufficiently abstracted, so that it can easily be applied to LCL as well - currently I'm porting MiG to fpGUI Toolkit.

Regards,
 - Graeme -