[Lazarus] IOI: Lazarus and Free Pascal

Nikolay Nikolov nickysn at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 22:15:42 CEST 2009

On 08/16/2009 08:12 PM, Den Jean wrote:
> Hi,
>
> International Olympiad in Informatics
> allows only c++ and free pascal.
>
> Provided editors : ... lazarus ...
>
> http://www.ioi2009.org/index.jsp;jsessionid=F84941DF0A0EE4138BC2E44BA6DBE5EB?ln=2&id=361

I was on the Host Technical Committee:

http://www.ioi2009.org/index.jsp?id=408&ln=2

where I helped with the Pascal support (install & configuration of fpc
and lazarus on the contest linux distro, etc.). I also did a Pascal to C
translation of one of the authors' solutions of one of the hardest tasks
in order to help determine the time limits for the task, so that it is
possible to score 100 points on the task with Pascal. Surprisingly, the
Pascal program ran exactly as fast as the C program (the difference was
really really minimal and it was slightly slower on some tests, but
slightly faster on others).

And here's the kicker: the winner - Henadzi Karatkevich (who is only
14-years old!!!) from Belarus used Pascal to solve the tasks!

http://news.slashdot.org/story/09/08/15/1523255/14-Year-Old-Wins-International-Programming-Contest?from=rss