[Lazarus] Lazarus IDE help and Application help formats

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Mon Aug 17 21:11:21 CEST 2009

Mattias Gärtner schrieb:

> I think this discussion is somewhat fuzzy.
> There are several help sources, each with their own problems. Here are
> the most prominent:
>
> 1. the FPC help as latex files
> 2. the FCL help as fpdoc files
> 3. the lazarus packages help as fpdoc files (e.g. LCL)
> 4. the lazarus and fpc wiki pages

And that's the problem :-(

A help system should allow to access *all* these sources, adding a
usable organization.

Blog-like help topics are highly undesireable, where the user has to
figure out essential information from a bunch of "X has said this, Y has
said that...", or topics with a hughe list of related documents.

IMO we need kind of CSS for structuring and representing the essential
information, about data types (classes...) and their members. Automated
import of preformatted (annotated) text, and means for presenting the
information in one or more ways, with HTML as the first choice.
Backgrounders, overviews, examples and more can be added as links to
external documentation, but to only one primary source for every
category (except for examples).

DoDi