[Lazarus] codetools tooltip showing method visibility

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 21:05:18 CEST 2009

2009/8/18 Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:

> Implemented in 21283.

You are a star! :-)  I'll give it a try tomorrow at work.

> A path information would indeed be nice. Especially if you are in a
> nested procedure.
> The statusbar has not enough space for this.

+1 on both counts.

> What about the code explorer?
> A node can be added showing a list of quick jumps.

That sounds like a good idea. Maybe I should also try using the code
explorer more often. It is a window I for some reason never use. Not
in Delphi and not in Lazarus. Umm, maybe that's the source of my
navigation problems. ;-)

My other thought was a "hint window" that shows for a second or two
and then close. Similar to those windows that Mozilla Thunderbird
shows when you have new mail waiting.  A keyboard shortcut could
trigger the hint window, showing things like current method, path,
visibility etc... A good default display position might be the top
right corner of the editor.  I remember the original TSynEdit had a
option to show such a hint window while you scrolled the editor,
display the line numbers.

With a hint window, we could add more and more information, unlike a
status bar. Also if you use the Editor Toolbar, a icon could be placed
there as well and no keyboard shortcut is required. Obviously as long
as the feature is registered somewhere in the IDE menu structure.

> On a second thought: Forget it, there is probably already a
> patent for this one-click-to-related-stuff.

I'm from South Africa, so lets say that feature came from here. We are
so slack with rules, nobody would sue. ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -