[Lazarus] opengl and compiz

Aleš Katona almindor at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 10:02:17 CEST 2009

Compiz/linux currently is very touchy depending on your card, kernel and distro (xorg version).

If you have say Ubuntu 9.04 with kernel .28 and the new xorg and you have intel or ati (pre r500, no longer officialy fglrx driver supported) cards you're pretty much screwed when it comes to openGL. Compiz itself works, but opengl is only up to 1.3 version and has bugged compozing (due to kernel mode setting not being in the kernel yet).

All this should change in .30 and .31 kernels and with latest drivers and xorg, although I wouldn't hold my breath for openGL 2.0 functionality (on the bright side, these changes they are making will be great for all the OSS 3d drivers).

It's one of those big OSS overhauls. So atm. if openGL is fishy and you don't have closed source drivers, don't fuss about it much :)

Ales

P.S: for more info, see the phoronix forums and articles