[Lazarus] Documentation and Help for Lazarus

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Aug 21 00:04:39 CEST 2009

2009/8/20 Chris Kirkpatrick <chris.kirkpatrick at doctors.org.uk>:
> FPDoc XML format is the ideal for "How-To" documentation, and like the idea
> suggested by Graeme for a plain text-file format which could be treated in a
> variety of different ways.

That is the same issue I found. My first thought was also to use
FPDco, but FPDoc is not suitable for how-to or application
documentation - it was designed for class documentation and that it
does very well.

I think AsciiDoc is a very nice solution. Easy to edit, can be used
as-is, or easily parsed and processing into other formats. The
original AsciiDoc (python) application also supports various macros.
One of the is the "include" macro, which means you can split or share
documentation. Something like a "book". Each chapter is a text file
and the book.txt file contains a bunch of Include macros which pull in
the chapters.

The more I am playing with AsciiDoc the more I think it is a very
suitable help format. I also want to play around with the
THelpDatabase component and implement one for AsciiDoc content with an
simple viewer, just to see how it could tie into applications and
context sensitive help.

Regards,
  - Graeme -