[Lazarus] New version of Excel Interface unit available

Thierry Coq tcoq at free.fr
Wed Aug 26 21:25:02 CEST 2009

Yes, there are several alternatives now to read/write spreadsheets:
a) - using CSV files,
b) - using XML files,
c) - using FPSpreadsheet,
d) - now using ExcelInterface.

Unlike a) and b) ExcelInterface controls Excel directly using the COM
interface, so the interaction with the Excel program is immediate:
formulas can be written and and evaluated automatically by the Excel
solver, the user can input data with Excel filled-in spreadsheets, the
format itself is rendered immediately, moving shapes also move
connectors automatically. It also requires less manual work from the
end-user.

Unlike c) ExcelInterface provides many additional facilities in addition
to the cells and values: formulas, formats, comments, shapes, diagrams,
etc. and works on many Excel versions.

ExcelInterface brings the power of Excel to FPC and Lazarus as a sort of
additional external component.

In the future, I hope to add a similar interface to link to OpenOffice,
so as:
- to have the same interface to generate either OpenOffice or Excel
spreadsheets,
- to be able to run the interface on Linux.

Enjoy!
Thierry