[Lazarus] Release preparations

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg at opensoft.homeip.net
Mon Aug 31 10:01:20 CEST 2009

Martin wrote:
> - with xx being even (24, 26, 28) a released version. the code in this
> version does not change, a download of 0.9.26 today is the same as 6
> month ago

Regarding your last statement, that is in theory only! A 0.9.26 download
today is not guaranteed to be the same after 6 months. Minor patch do
get applied to release versions. I raised my concerns about SVN tags a
while back, and the strange usage patterns that the Lazarus team uses
with it. Currently the Lazarus development team do not distinguish
between Tags and Branches in the repository (abusing a SubVersion flaw).

But yes, Lazarus follows a similar release number system to the Linux
kernel. Odd release numbers (.27, .29) are unstable development
branches. Even release numbers (.22, .24, .26) are stable release branches.

I don't think the "fixes_9_26" is the best name for branches though. A
more common "0.9.26rc1" might have been a better choice. Followed by
"0.0.26rc2" etc... Until it is stable enough for a release, which is
then tagged as "0.9.26".  Minor fixes after a release should go into
"0.9.26.1" branch etc... But hey, that's just me thinking out loud. ;-)
I have similar issue for the FPC development - whatever works for them!

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/