[Lazarus] trouble with packages

Luca Olivetti luca at wetron.es
Tue Dec 1 11:20:44 CET 2009

En/na Graeme Geldenhuys ha escrit:
> Luca Olivetti wrote:
>> I also use this approach, but the problem is you still have to reinstall
>> them in the new lazarus starting with a fresh configuration[*],
>
> Nope, my Lazarus is installed in /opt/lazarus/ directory. The
> configuration files (which include external packages listing) are stored
> in $HOME/.lazarus/ directory.
>
> So even if I upgrade or reinstall Lazarus, it does not touch my
> configuration files. I have been working like this for years.

Exactly.
Now, look at those file, they are referencing to packages, some of them
are in your fixed extra packages (no problem with those) but some of
them are pointing to packages in the lazarus directory.
Again, it's no problem if you always use the *same* directory for
lazarus, but if you use more than one version, each in a different
directory (like your example below), even if you use a different pcp you
have to either start from scratch (i.e with an empty pcp) and
reconfigure lazarus to your liking *and* then reinstall the extra
packages or copy the configuration files and edit them to point to the
correct lazarus directory (that's what I do)

> I actually have two icons on my desktop, and both use the --pcp=
> parameter with different profile directories.
>
>   Lazarus (stable)     ->  $HOME/.lazarus-stable/
>   Lazarus (unstable).  ->  $HOME/.lazarus/

Bye
--
Luca Olivetti
Tel. +34 93 5883004 (Ext.133)  Fax +34 93 5883007