[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Graeme Geldenhuys graeme at mastermaths.co.za
Tue Dec 1 13:03:19 CET 2009

Vincent Snijders wrote:

> What is the purpose of a creating a 1.0 release:
> A. Marketing, getting more people of the threshold to use Lazarus

I started the thread due to option (a), so that is what I would like
Lazarus to achieve.

Open Source software works different to commercial software, so there is
normally no guarantee that stable interfaces will last. Also I would
much rather have a design change (which might break the interfaces),
than strictly keeping backward compatibility alive and having a
nightmare of code to maintain years down the line. Plus, the development
model of open source software is a lot more open, so you get much more
warning of code breaking changes, so it is very easy to keep your code
in a working state (and updated).

If you look at the released figures of Line of Code between Linux and
various other "commercial" software, there is good reason why Linux line
s of code count is by a margin of millions less than others. And it's
not due to lack of features, but rather a cleaner design and more
maintainable code.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/