[Lazarus] Question about DLL handler

Manfred mague at netic.de
Wed Dec 2 08:53:39 CET 2009

Phil Hess wrote:
> that should make merging a bit easier. But I have to say that Roman
> was quite dismayed to learn that ports of many other packages that he
> uses were done as one-way ports to Lazarus, leaving Delphi
> compatibility behind.

To be fair, Delphi itself was left behind for a few years and started
looking like it was heading the way of Kylix. Same applies to many
component suites. So in that case why bother with the extra effort to
keep compatibility with a dead product.

Now speaking as somebody that has ported a fare share of components and
complete projects to other GUI toolkits. Most of the time changes will
never be back-ported to the original project. Plus, it's hard enough
already to port a component to another GUI toolkit, and then you expect
to obfuscate the code even further with IFDEFs just to keep it alive for
two compilers and various GUI toolkits - that's crazy. And double work!

Take TSynEdit for example. The code has changed such a lot from the
original, I don't think anybody will be able to backport Lazarus's
synedit to the original code. So why not simply clean up the Lazarus
code and remove all those damn IFDEFs so the code is actually readable.

All I do is try and notify the original author to let them know their
component or project lives on in another project and keep the credits or
copyright notice in the units.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/