[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Rigel Rig rigel at gbg.bg
Wed Dec 2 09:16:25 CET 2009

 Why not both? If there was a stable version of Lazarus, when Borland thought to sell Delphi, would attract many Delphi developers. Delphi in 2011 will be on a Linux and Mac, and very rarely Delphi programmer will go to Lazarus. One of the main advantages of Lazarus would not have it!

If there is a stable form once a year, many companies will prefer to work with Lazarus. Will rarely find a company that gives money to produce software for clients through unstable (which they may be implied by the name beta) version of the software. Developers are in business. If Lazarus is not used by them, developers will use what they are working with companies! So many Delphi and Pascal programmers passed to Java, C + +, PHP, although they say they prefer Delphi. And companies will choose to buy a stable software instead of using unstable free! This also applies to Linux distributors. For example there was an openSUSE version, which was with Lazarus. Later versions had without it. Is there a Linux distribution, which includes in packages Lazarus? Why? Maybe because after so many years is still in beta? And most of the components makers will start making versions of Lazarus. This will help in Lazarus development.

Why use technology other than Object Pascal and not binding on Lazarus. As QT and gtk2! Looking for more developers to gtk2?!? WHY??? Can you create a stable version without gtk2 or QT???
If the development of gtk2 QT stops what will happen - will stop Lazarus?? Or will you keep both??? What a strange idea?
So I will make programs of Pascal, but the aim should be to learn and gtk2 or QT, which is not clear whether they will continue to cooperate. What if the development of some of them take in another direction and become too inefficient to keep up with Lazarus? And what "advertising" - gtk2, QT or Lazarus? Or follow extremely erroneous policy of Borland to be bound by the technology of Microsoft? You know what happend after that. Why many developers prefer the Delphi 7 instead of Delphi .net? The only commitment must be with FPC! If there is something good in QT or gtk2 - get the idea. Or add them as components. In the next STABLE VERSIONS OF LAZARUS!

As far as I remember, one of the main objectives of Lazarus was to be free and cross-platform alternative to Delphi! Delphi was only for Windows! Now you says that there is little emphasis on the most popular OS!!! And no matter how uncomfortable about Linux community, this event still is and will be very long time! And why Windows is the most common? Because it is the most stable? No. Best! No! Free? No. Because Microsoft has one of the best marketing strategies! And is oriented towards consumers. And when people who have a little experience in this area offer something better to hear them. Because each product is aimed to users. Developers comes from user. Not vice versa! No users - not developers, not programmers - no Lazarus (after time).

Therefore, if you want Lazarus to have any chance against Delphi urgent need to release a stable version by the end of the year! And the next stable versions have each year to attract at least some of the companies and should not be delayed further development of Lazarus. Otherwise, time will come after the new technology will begin to deploy it, will pass the technology will appear new, however it will deploy and will never have a stable version! The goal is to have a stable version and to know approximately when will be the next! So in most major open source projects. Eg Linux distributions, Apache, Open Office ... I am sure that if you do not waste time to use Qt, gtk2 and removed many of unstable components Lazarus will  be able quickly to run a stable version! Perhaps with fewer components, but it will have.