[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Marc Weustink marc.weustink at cuperus.nl
Wed Dec 2 10:16:50 CET 2009

Rigel Rig wrote:
> Why not both? If there was a stable version of Lazarus, when Borland
> thought to sell Delphi, would attract many Delphi developers.

At that time we already saw an increase of ppl. The 0.9 version didn't
scare them.
What I read in this thread is that Borland had no problem releasing
buggy/limited versions and ppl accept that. But what most seem to forget
is that those are already spoiled by Delphi and wil have a more critic
look at Lazarus when it reaches 1.0. If it feels buggy, we've lost.

> Delphi
> in 2011 will be on a Linux and Mac, and very rarely Delphi programmer
> will go to Lazarus.

I doubt. Professionally, maybe. Hobby no, delphi is too expensive for
that (seen from the reactions on last weekends fair I was).

> One of the main advantages of Lazarus would not
> have it! If there is a stable form once a year, many companies will
> prefer to work with Lazarus.

Do you realize the effort it takes to maintain 2 releases ?

> Is there a Linux distribution, which
> includes in packages Lazarus?

yes

> Why?

Since someone took te battle to get it added to some distro

> Maybe because after so many years
> is still in beta?

Have a look of the packages in your distro, there will be a lot which
have not reaches 1.0 and they are still used.

> And most of the components makers will start making
> versions of Lazarus.

Some of them already do. Keep in mind that not being 1.0 is not the real
issue for component companies, but the fact that you need the source to
be able to compile it into the IDe is.

> This will help in Lazarus development.

I see no relation.

> Why use
> technology other than Object Pascal and not binding on Lazarus. As QT
> and gtk2!

??

> Looking for more developers to gtk2?!? WHY??? Can you
> create a stable version without gtk2 or QT??? If the development of
> gtk2 QT stops what will happen - will stop Lazarus??

No, since ppl still need some widgetset. So at that time the alternative
will be available to lazarus too.

> Or will you keep
> both??? What a strange idea? So I will make programs of Pascal, but
> the aim should be to learn and gtk2 or QT, which is not clear whether
> they will continue to cooperate. What if the development of some of
> them take in another direction and become too inefficient to keep up
> with Lazarus? And what "advertising" - gtk2, QT or Lazarus? Or follow
> extremely erroneous policy of Borland to be bound by the technology
> of Microsoft? You know what happend after that.

I'm lost, what point are you making ?

> Therefore, if you want Lazarus to have any chance against
> Delphi urgent need to release a stable version by the end of the
> year!

We are not battling delphi, and there will be no 1.0 in 2009, maybe end
of 2010.

marc