[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Raistware raistware at gmail.com
Wed Dec 2 10:53:27 CET 2009

Vincent Snijders escribió:
> Does that mean, we should stop fixing bugs, because you only get more?

No, that mean that a feature freezee is needed to order to achieve an
stable release. No new features accepted until all blocking BUGS were
solved. Lazarus is stable enough and mature enought to had been released
as stable many years later.

I think that if a widgeset has not a mantainer/core developer/master or
whatever you would name he or she, then that widgeset would not be
officialy supported and should not block any stable release. For
example, the gtk1 widgeset, if no one is interested in develop and
mataining it, mark all gtk bugs as 'suspended' or 'non-blocking'. If
gtk2 hasn't a mantainer, well that only shows up that nobody has enought
interest to develop it ... so related bugs should not be blocking.

Also there are a thing that shock me out completly: ¿why should Lazarus
mantain backward compatibility with Delphi?
First of all, Delphi is not suited to compile anyother platform outside
of windows. Delphi programs tend to use windows api extensively, that
will not work for lazarus! Also, all components used by a delphi program
need to be ported before trying to convert a Delphi project, and usually
this is impossible due to lack of access to source code.
Also is proved that any non-trivial Delphi project will need some type
of workarround to work properly with Lazarus, and if you make that
changes, it will not compile anymore with Delphi ... that's crazy for
Lazarus development!

Provide a good Delphi->Lazarus converter if you want and drop Delphi
specific issues. Be free to work with the most efficient way you can.
Break compatiblity whenever you need to create a better ide. Users will
increase and, eventually some of them will contribute to Lazarus
development...

Sorry for my very-big-email and my painfull-english-skills