[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2

Rigel Rig rigel at gbg.bg
Wed Dec 2 12:44:25 CET 2009

 > If it feels buggy, we've lost.
So I wrote with less features and no major bugs. Minor bugs have any software.

>I doubt. Professionally, maybe. Hobby no, delphi is too expensive for
 >that (seen from the reactions on last weekends fair I was).
The boss of the company will buy it! Professional programmers will work for the company. Developer of the open source project will also chose to focus the project, rather than testing of Lazarus. And then help in the development of Lazarus. In this case the opposite occurs.

>Do you realize the effort it takes to maintain 2 releases ?
Yes! But I do not mean very different at first. For example the version of Lazarus works under Windows XP SP3 (until recently the most common). 2011 version will work under all versions of Windows from XP upwards.
Similarly with Linux: works under openSUSE (or another distribution). In the next more distributions. In each stable version of Lazarus is appropriate to maintain the versions already supported.

 >> Is there a Linux distribution, which
 >> includes in packages Lazarus?
 >
 >yes

Which?

 >> Why?
 >
 >Since someone took te battle to get it added to some distro
 >
 >> Maybe because after so many years
 >> is still in beta?
 >
 >Have a look of the packages in your distro, there will be a lot which
 >have not reaches 1.0 and they are still used.

Yes, but they are stable. If they are not stable are not included in the package by default. Unstable software is new one. Not on 10 years.

Lazarus can it work without them? Why not make a stable version without them and put them in the next?

 >> Therefore, if you want Lazarus to have any chance against
 >> Delphi urgent need to release a stable version by the end of the
 >> year!
 >

 >We are not battling delphi, and there will be no 1.0 in 2009, maybe end
 >of 2010.
Are you looking for users, developers who make applications of Lazarus. Most will prefer Delphi, because they prefer to make its software on a stable basis.

Rigel