[Lazarus] Release 1.0, part 2 ... "Lazarus 2009/Q3/Christmas Edition"

Michael Joyner ᏩᏯ mjoyner at vbservices.net
Wed Dec 2 13:59:23 CET 2009

Helmut Hartl wrote:
> At the current state this discussion mixes orthogonal things into
> one dimension.
> A thing a programmer never should do ... :-)
>
> "A wise man should see a diamond gem if it lies before him on the
> ground - At least he can decide if he wants to use funny arranged
> carbon atoms - or not.
> The dumb one does have at least the possibility
> if you (developers) want it and you put a giant red wrap around it
> ("Lazarus 2009/Q3/Christmas Edition")
>
> *) "Dumb" users will need C) and of 100 blind users maybe you get 5 good
> ones and 1 idealist contributing -> D)
> *) To make a point at A) you need a "killer application" (VLC, Lazarus
> itself,  uTorrent, Skype ...) and state that its made with Lazarus/FPC
> and a target audience
> *) Even companies have the possibillity to contribute, if contribution
> is welcome, and a company can see the gem ...
>
> For me I want to switch my firm completely from Delphi to FPC:
> Which is hard because our GUI Clients uses many Components which needs
> to be ported ...
>
> Maybe the "5000 year old principle" of giving something to get something
> is still applyable ?

I am trying to push Lazarus/FPC onto the CIS instructors at my school.
Trying to get them to use something our very small IT department can
actually support w/o installing GIGS of useless junk on our terminal
servers. And... having it be cross-platform between Win and Ubuntu helps
alot, our CIS is mainly using W32, but enough of our students are
dumping Vista and Win7 for Ubuntu that this would be a great selling point.

Having a "version 9.12" X-Mas or "version 10.0 " Jan edition would
definitely help the PSYCHOLOGY in this regard.
Who knows how many, if any, of people learning to program with Laz at my
institution will eventually become contribs? But, I do know that if one
does not go fishing, one will not catch any fish.

I also have a "killer app" in mind (to me), but not ready to share yet. :)

--
LyX: http://www.lyx.org/ OpenOffice: http://www.openoffice.org/
Inkscape: http://www.inkscape.org/ Scribus: http://www.scribus.net/