[Lazarus] Configure "Build Lazarus" was weird but no more...

dmitry boyarintsev skalogryz.lists at gmail.com
Mon Dec 14 22:13:48 CET 2009

On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 11:51 PM, Juha Manninen <juha.manninen at phnet.fi> wrote:
> IMO this combobox is better than the original 2 tab-pages. This way you get
> visual feedback of the changes. The original tab-control was just non-
> intuitive.
AFAIK, 2 tabs are actually 2 independent build options dialog.
Settings on one tab won't effect another tab... Personally I never
used "Quick build options"

> What if someone wants to define and save new build options?
> That was the idea of my configurable build profiles.
On the current Adv.Build.Dlg there's a button bellow "Save settings".
It just stores the build options globally, so it's possible to store
configuration without building.

Maybe 3 additional buttons can be added: "Save", "Save As" and
"Delete", to manage custom settings. (i.e. next to the combobox)
And "Save settings" are renamed to "Close". The button closes the
dialog silently stores the latest build options as default. On the
next dialog opening the last "closed" or "built" options are shown.

IMHO: There's no need in saving/storing additional build options.
Storing the last saved (or built) options is enough (It is now);

> There is one problem with your solution though: It shows all the controls all
> the time. The original idea with Quick Build Selections was to hide the
> "advanced" options. My solution has a "Hide Details" button for that.
And that's what i don't like about your idea. I see no reason in
"Hide" or "Show" details at all.

a) IDE developers would always use show details (to control components rebuilt).
b) Even if they don't change them, they can always be sure about what
will be rebuilt.
c) The usual Lazarus user, would never use this dialog (i.e.
installing a package rebuilds the IDE without showing the dialog)
d) If a user ever needs the building dialog, he/she would be
interested in the "details" anyway (simple human curiosity)
e) It would be easier to explain a user how to use the build dialog,
if the dialog is single-step, rather than 2 steps (the main form and
the details)
f) There's no other dialog in the IDE that uses "hide/show details"
style. Every dialog in the IDE, even overloaded with controls, shows
all possible options at once.

Once again: I'm not the one to reject or accept your patch. I'm just
sharing my thoughts and I'm NOT telling that "hide/show" is bad idea
at all.

thanks,
dmitry