[Lazarus] Configure "Build Lazarus" was weird but no more...

Juha Manninen juha.manninen at phnet.fi
Tue Dec 15 00:06:14 CET 2009

On tiistai, 15. joulukuuta 2009 00:13:28 Phil Hess wrote:
> I would tend to agree with Dimitry and lose the Hide/Show Details behavior.

It is meant to replace the quick options page! Clearly some people need it. At
least they took the effort to discuss it on this mailing list 2,5 years ago
and then Giuliano Colla implemented it.
This one button shouldn't disturb much if you don't need it.

>  At the very least, Save Settings should be moved to the details sections -
>  otherwise, what settings is it referring to when the details section is
>  hidden - nothing is shown above that could be considered a setting. And is
>  it "details" or "settings" - seems like they refer to the same thing, so
>  maybe use the same term.

Right, it was inconsistent. However the right choice is to change the button
to "Save Profiles" because that's what it does.
If it's placed on the details section it would logically refer to only one
profile's settings. Those are saved automatically (in memory structure) when
switching profiles.
The button finally saves all profiles with their settings. Build button saves
them, too.

> Dimitry also touches on something else to consider, which is the
>  relationship between this dialog and the package build dialog. With most
>  packages, if you look at the compiler options, it will show, for example,
>  "default (win32/win64)". This is misleading if not outright wrong. The
>  only thing that matters is what widgetset is selected on the configure
>  build dialog. So if somebody compiles the LCL with a different widgetset
>  and forgets to set it back to the correct default, the next time the IDE
>  is built from the package dialog it will use the wrong widgetset.
>
> Also, which "profile" will be used when the IDE is rebuilt from the package
>  dialog?

It is the last one selected as "current" profile. This follows the same
concept as with other build settings. The last saved state.

> The "Clean all" and "With packages" boxes have always confused me. Either I
>  don't understand what they do (i.e., non intuitive labels) or else they
>  don't work or don't behave as expected. Maybe you could just either
>  eliminate these or present them with labels that are intuitive.

I don't want to touch those boxes because I also don't understand fully their
working. Mattias Gärtner explained that they are needed and I believed. See
the beginning of this thread.

> And maybe call it "Build Profiles" to be clear?

Done. Changed some other texts, too. Later I would like to replace widgetset
radiogroup with combobox like Dimitry suggested.
I replaced the screenshots with new versions:

http://koti.phnet.fi/juhamann/Lazarus/BuildLazSimple.jpg
http://koti.phnet.fi/juhamann/Lazarus/BuildLazDetails.jpg

Juha